CHPA’s First-Ever Virtual Regulatory Conference to Be Held September 1-3, 2020
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) — The Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) will hold its 2020 Regulatory, Scientific & Quality (RSQ) Conference virtually, for the first time ever, Tuesday, September 1, through Thursday, September 3. Using a dynamic virtual platform, attendees will hear distinguished speakers from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), academia, and industry. In addition to the live program, RSQ will offer attendees networking opportunities and on-demand content.
CHPA’s annual event brings together an array of highly respected experts to discuss timely regulatory, scientific, legal, and product quality topics affecting the consumer healthcare products industry. This year’s program will cover the impact of COVID-19 on the OTC industry, as well as other major trends and emerging issues. Importantly, to reflect CHPA’s increased focus on dietary supplements, and expansion into consumer medical devices, additional content covering hot topics in the dietary supplement space, a panel discussion on the future of dietary supplements, and a session on medical device technology and regulation, will be made available to participants. RSQ will feature multiple on-demand panels discussing some of the most crucial issues facing dietary supplements – from CBD regulation to advancing the quality and safety of all supplement products.
This year’s virtual RSQ will reach all new audiences because of its convenient format and will feature an impressive line-up of speakers from FDA and FTC:
- Lucinda Buhse, Ph.D., Director of Office of Testing & Research, Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA, will present on, “Creating Value Through Quality Metrics.” In this session, an interactive forum about quality metrics, attendees will learn how to leverage quality metrics as a tool for business growth, while also meeting GMP compliance requirements.
- Linda M. Katz, M.D., M.P.H., Director of the Office of Cosmetics and Colors Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition, FDA, will lead the session, “Regulatory Perspective on Consumer Preferences & Perceptions,” discussing consumer desire for natural, free-of, organic and botanical ingredients and providing real-life examples and case studies to address current and future regulatory issues associated with these consumer expectations.
- Amanda H. Pike-McCrudden, MAA, Social Science Analyst in the Division of Nonprescription Drug Products I, Office of Drug Evaluation IV/Office of Nonprescription Drug Products, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA, will lead the session, “Enabling Consumer Decision Making in the Self-Care Environment.” This session will describe the role of behavioral sciences in informing more effective product communication to consumers through a discussion of concepts related to decision-making and health literacy.
- Richard Cleland, J.D., Assistant Director, Advertising Practices, FTC, will speak on the panel, “Staying Smart in a Smart World.” With the evolution of artificial intelligence and devices everything is getting smarter. Nearly everyone knows that following FDA regulations and guidance is critical, but what about the other key regulator - the FTC - which plays a key role in oversight for this emerging and evolving category? In this session, attendees will hear about research, regulatory, and legal insights on how to effectively manage the benefits and risks of emerging digital technologies in this increasingly smart world while modernizing substantiation development and consumer engagement strategies related to consumer health.
More agenda highlights include:
- FDA/USP Leadership Panel Discussion - Donald D. Ashley, J.D., Director, Office of Compliance, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA; Theresa M. Michele, M.D., Director, Office of Nonprescription Drug Products, Office of Drug Evaluation IV, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA; Ronald T. Piervincenzi, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, USP
- COVID-19 Impact on OTC Industry – Live Discussion Forum - Jing Capucao, Ph.D., Stability Manager, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.; Catherine Vicente, Manager, ERO-Enterprise Regulatory Outreach, Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc.
- OTC Technology and Emerging Policies (CMD Advances) - Verna Macedon, Regulatory Affairs, Bayer Consumer Health; Sonja B. Fulmer, Ph.D., Assistant Director for Digital Health Policy, CDRH, FDA; John Whang, M.D., Sr. Director, Integrated Evidence Team, Janssen Pharmaceuticals; Christina J. Wurster, M.B.A., Chief Strategy Officer, Heart Rhythm Society
- Current Topics in Sustainability - Aditya Dinge, Ph.D., Process Development Scientist, Bayer Healthcare LLC; Jennifer Boada Rodriguez, Senior Technical Associate Global Packaging, Oral Care, Colgate-Palmolive Company; Brianne Della Savia, Doctoral Student, Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability, The University of British Columbia
On-Demand Hot Topics and Trends in Nutrition and Dietary Supplements:
- Dietary Supplement Use in the United States
- Endocannabinoid System: Product Profiles and Outcomes We need to Know
- HEMP/CBD Oils – Product Profiling and Market Launch Requirements
- DSHEA: The First 25 Years, Now What?
- The Media: Information that Affects the Dietary Supplements Category
- OTC Monograph Reform and Hot Topics
- Enabling Consumer Decision Making in the Self-Care Environment
- Alternatives to Animal Testing
- Customer Complaints: Best Practices from Case Studies
Founded in 1881, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) is the national trade association representing the leading manufacturers and marketers of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, dietary supplements, and consumer medical devices. Every dollar spent by consumers on OTC medicines saves the U.S. healthcare system more than $7, contributing a total of $146 billion in savings each year. CHPA is committed to empowering consumer self-care by preserving and expanding choice and availability of consumer healthcare products. www.chpa.org